Tile roofs in the greater Orlando area (in fact, all of Florida) have many advantages over other types of roofs. They are pest resistant and can take temperature changes from cold to very hot without damage. The best thing about them is that tile roofs can easily last more than 100 years with minimal care. However, once a year or so, you should make a visual inspection of your roof to make sure there are no broken tiles or damaged flashing. Use a ladder and binoculars to make your inspection, as walking on clay tile roofs can easily break tiles. In Orlando and northern Florida, if you have any questions about your clay tile roof, call Premier Roofing, the roofing contractor in Florida that specializes in tile roofs. They will gladly answer any questions you have about maintaining your tile roof.
TYPES OF TILE ROOFS:
- Clay-This is by far the most popular and most used type of tile roof. The clay tiles can be glazed or unglazed.
- Granite-A newcomer to the tile roof, granite tiles are lovely and come in ivory or black.
- Slate-Slate tiles have been used for over 1000 years and are very durable and make a beautiful roof.
- Concrete-This medium for roofing tiles has come into its own in the last 100 years. It was first used in Bavaria in the 19th century, and many of those roofs still exist. By the early 1960s, concrete roof tiles made up over 80% of all new roofs in England.
COMMON PROBLEMS TO WATCH FOR:
- Dirt, mold or algae-If any of these are excessive on your tile roof, it may be best to consult with a tile roofing contractor. For small amounts, a long brush and a mild cleaner will work wonders.
- Efflorescence-This is a naturally occurring reaction of rainwater affecting the limestone in the clay. It produces whitish marks and streaks, but it is not harmful and does not need to be removed. It will naturally go away with time.
- Broken tiles-If you have many broken tiles, contact a tile roofing contractor. If it is just one or two, you can replace them yourself. There are many helpful videos available on the internet to assist you with this.
Premier Roofing in Orlando, Florida, is your one-stop shop for all types of tile roof installation, repair, inspection, cleaning and all-around help in the greater Orlando and north Florida area. Craig Anderson, the founder, has been in the tile roofing contractor business for over 25 years. Contact Craig and his associates for answers to all your roofing questions.